BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday 4 November 2008

Tuesday stuff...


The Melbourne Cup is over once more for another year. Who won? A horse called “Viewed.” No, no one saw that happening. It was a long shot. I was going to bet on a horse called ‘Mad Rush’ but couldn’t get to the TAB (legal bookies) so I didn’t. Just as well. I would have lost my money. I also had money on the sweeps. Lost the lot - $20 bucks – a vast sum - c’est la bloody vie I say. Ordinary everyday Aussies interviewed at the cup said even though the economy was crap they were going to have a splurge. I think responsible gambling – knowing your limit to lose – is fine. I think it’s a matter of hope springing eternal even in the crappiest times.

Aussies are mad gamblers. It is said we will bet on ‘two flies crawling up a wall.’ We like a risk and to ‘have a go.’ There is a story that an English actor (Derek Nimmo) told years ago. He said he was in Australia in the never-never – the outback – and he was asked to ride a camel in a race. He fell off and was very embarrassed. He said he was surprised though when he got up and everyone cheered. Why? Because he had a go. Aussies admire that more than anything. I think we retain a lot of the convict spirit – take a chance and see what you get away with.

I have to say I am so happy the US elections are almost over. The whole rock star extravaganza of it all has worn thin. Pick A or B – either is interchangeable – and let’s get on and fix up all the stuff ups – and no, it’s no longer a matter of your lot or my lot sorting themselves out individually. We are so linked in the madness of greed that we have to work together.

That’s it - I feel a bit like the panda above. I have developed a nice little, annoying cough that is driving me and everyone else mad. Don’t you love those? So I am going to slump on the lounge with my meds and contemplate my place in the world, man’s inhumanity to man and should I go grocery shopping Wednesday or Thursday after work.

www.amarindajones.com
www.amarindajones.blogspot.com
Go ahead: Live with abandon. Be outrageous at any age. What are you saving your best self for?

0 comments: